• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

efficiency ?

Simie

Brewer
Reaction score
Okay, so we've been brewing for 8 years and don't know why I waited so long: When I add ingredients from say Northern Brewer @(65% eff) into Beersmith my estimated gravity is always lower than what the receipe states sometime 5 point low.
Any advise for an old fella here on how to correct this in BS
Thanks Brewers
Stay Thirsty

There can be a number of reasons why when you input an NB recipe you come out with different numbers.  Primarily, it most likely comes down to process.  NG makes assumptions about losses in process to boil off rate, trub loss, grain absorption when putting together these recipes to try to make them fit what most people do and have the numbers be somewhat close to their targets. 

How you address this is up to you.  If you go ahead and brew the NB recipe, do you come out with a result which is closer to their numbers or Beersmith's numbers using your equipment profile?  That will tell you right there is the issue is with the process losses in your system being different from their assumptions or if your equipment profile needs some work.

also, do you use a hydrometer to measure what you actually get?
if BS estimates an OG that lower than the recipes suggests, but you measure it and actually get the recipes OG then it's just a matter of changing your equipment profiles efficiency in BS.
if you measure and actually get BS's estimated OG, then everything if fine.

it could be: higher loss of volume when transferring from pot to primary, higher volume in primary than recipe calls for [i always fill to 5.25 gallons to compensate for yeast cake/trub loss].

also, there are several NB addons that have the recipes, download and install those, then see change it to your equipment profile and see if it suddenly matches what you are seeing, that could be all that it is.

Back