• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding a Grain and Chiller in BeerSmith

Beer Lover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have 2 items I would like to add in BeerSmith.
1. I would like to add a grain "Briess Blankprinz malt (500L).  How would I add this grain to the grain profile.
2. I would like to add a chiller so it shows up in the Boil Ingredients when I select "add recipe".

Greetings Beerlover,

To answer your first question, you can add this grain yourself very simply.  Just select Ingredients then Grain then select Add New from the ribbon. You will first, however, need to gather the needed information from the maltster's website.  From what I understand, a good portion of the data we use in BeerSmith was data collected and provided by users like us.

Your second question is confusing and I'm sorry, I don't understand.  Perhaps you could clarify???

In answer to your second question, make a new item in your 'misc' additives for your chiller and specify that it is added in the boil.  You can then take a recipe and adjust the time of the chiller addition to correspond to your current or desired practice.  It will then show up in your brew steps and on the timer.

To make it standard in your recipe when you click on 'add recipe', click on 'add recipe', add your chiller and set the time during the boil you want to add it.  Now click on the 'set as default' button on the icon ribbon.  Next time you click to add a recipe, it will show up as a standard ingredient.

Thanks for the replies. 
At Oginme, thanks for the answer on adding the chiller as a standard ingredient.  That was so easy.  Just could not see that.

Cheers!!

Back