• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hello, New Member

mastfalk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello! I've been brewing for the past couple of years (started with extract & Mr Beer, then progressed to all grain). A friend of mine introduced me to BeerSmith and I've been evaluating the software over the past couple of weeks. I still find the set up a bit confusing, but think I will take the leap - at least if anything it will help me keep track of recipes and maybe even get me in to designing some myself. I just need to know which version is best for me. Can someone answer some questions for me on the software?

I'm really not sure on a couple of things between basic, Gold and Platinum. I don't think I need professional.

I just don't get why Basic is unlimited access and the others are "one year". Access to what? Also, with the "online recipe storage" - Basic gives you 15, Gold 125, etc. What is this? Is this access to your recipe data base or is it the number of recipes that you can "save" online in the cloud or number of recipes you can download at a time? Also, this may be related, but how much of the BeerSmith recipe database is available to someone with the Basic option? Finally, what are "direct download links" and "archiving edits"?

Thanks for clarifying. I appreciate it.

Michael

The BeerSmith software is a one time purchase.  The 'Basic', 'Gold', or 'Platinum' refers to on-line storage of recipes service which is offered. 

'Basic' is unlimited because that is the default which comes with the software.  It does allow for storage of 15 recipes on the web.  For those who like to share more recipes or have them in the cloud for back-up, you have the choice of gold or platinum for greater recipe storage capacity.  It is not a necessity for using the BeerSmith software.  The number afterwards does indicate the number of recipes which may be stored for that particular level of service.

Even with basic, you can peruse the recipe database for those recipes that users have made public and download them onto your copy of BeerSmith.

Someone else who uses the on-line storage would need to answer the 'direct download links' vs 'archiving edits' question, as I don't use the cloud capabilities of BeerSmith to give you a good response.

Thank you! As long as I can have unlimited recipes on my computer, maybe I'll start with the basic. I appreciate the input.

welcome both new members [and any else who may read this section of the board].

first the # of recipes is how many you can have Bookmarked [on the cloud/website] at a time but you can also have that many in your 'library' on the cloud.
meaning you 'library' is how many you have chosen to share OR how many other recipes you have tagged [using the Store a Private Copy' link. once you 'store' a copy, when you open beersmith, in the bottom left you can choose Cloud, and there it will list every recipe you have 'stored a private copy' of, if you then choose to right click you can choose 'save locally' and it copied that recipe [from the cloud] directly onto your computer.
after that you can 'delete' that recipe from the cloud and 'store' another....ad nauseum. i have literally copied dozens of recipes this way.

no matter which level you choose you have unlimited access to peruse the cloud/website for your own amusement/research. the only difference is Basic means you can only have 15 at any one specific time flagged and there is NEVER a yearly fee. once you become more involved [or just LOVE to share new recipes] you may choose to pay a yearly fee for a much larger number of recipes that you can share and can bookmark/'store' at a time.

once you watch a few of the BS videos that Brad has linked for us all you'll understand the program a lot more and use it just to mkae recipes for fun...even if you never get to brew them.

I can't seem to connect to the BeerSmith server. Is it the same password as my forum or do I have to set up a new account? I purchased the software, it just won't let me view the recipes.

Used the BeerSmith 2 trial, and I'm not considering purchasing a license for the Basic version. What is the cost to upgrade from Basic to Gold, or from Gold to Platinum?

Hello. I am new in the community, I will definitely learn interesting things here :) :) I have had some health issues and i had to stay a lot on online pharmacy and i couldn't drink alcohol, now that I'm feel better i'm here! :)

mastfalk said:
Hello! I've been brewing for the past couple of years (started with extract & Mr Beer, then progressed to all grain). A friend of mine introduced me to BeerSmith and I've been evaluating the software over the past couple of weeks. I still find the set up a bit confusing, but think I will take the leap - at least if anything it will help me keep track of recipes and maybe even get me in to designing some myself. I just need to know which version is best for me. Can someone answer some questions for me on the software?

I'm really not sure on a couple of things between basic, Gold and Platinum. I don't think I need professional.

I just don't get why Basic is unlimited access and the others are "one year". Access to what? Also, with the "online recipe storage" - Basic gives you 15, Gold 125, etc. What is this? Is this access to your recipe data base or is it the number of recipes that you can "save" online in the cloud or number of recipes you can download at a time? Also, this may be related, but how much of the BeerSmith recipe database is available to someone with the Basic option? Finally, what are "direct download links" and "archiving edits"?

Michael

As of now, I have no clue at all on things between basic, Gold and Platinum. I think I really need to study and analyze them well.

maboli said:
mastfalk said:

Michael

As of now, I have no clue at all on things between basic, Gold and Platinum. I think I really need to study and analyze them well.

Just buy basic no other version is needed.

Greetings maboli - the differences in these packages, or plans, are the actuall amount of storage space you are given in the BeerSmith Cloud to store your recipes.  You will naturally be able to save your recipes on your local hard drive or local device.  But, if you plan on using BS on more than one platform (PC & Mobile, for example) you will need the BS Cloud so the devices can share recipes.  The BS Cloud is also nice to have as a backup if something were to happen to your hard drive.

So, the question is: how many recipes do you wish to store in the cloud?  I use the Basic plan because I backup my hard drive to an external hard drive so I only need the cloud to share whatever I?m brewing at the moment.  I believe the Basic plan allows 15 recipes.  So if you need to store more, you will need a larger plan.

Hope this information helps.

Back