• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Huricane burner I bought in 2009 issue.

millerrl143

Apprentice
Reaction score
Recently I have had a problem with the burner kicking back when I try to light it.  It's a little unnerving to say the least.  I keep one hand on the valve at the tank to close it instantly.  I decided to clean the whole burner.  I removed the burner assembly and completely disassembled it.  The "neck" of the unit was attached to the bottom of the burner itself.  I removed the two bolts and found a type of seal between the two.  Looked like some type of asbestos gasket material and was light in color.  I have cleaned all this off, wire brushed both surfaces and I am going to clean these parts in PBW.  My question is this, anyone know what type of high temperature gasket material or compound I might use to put these back together after this cleaning process.  (I have had a few boil overs in my 50 some brews). LOL  Any help will be appreciated.

Greetings miller - I have always favored silicone for all my high temperature needs.  I've purchased it from Mcmastercarr.com.  They're an industrial supplier of just about everything you can think of.  The product is a little pricey, but you'll never need to buy it again.  I believe the smallest qty you can buy is 12" X 12". The thickness range starts at 1/16".

Hope this helps

PS - make sure your burner is completely dry before lighting.  Perhaps you can place it in the oven at about 250? for a few hours to make sure all the orifaces are dry.....just a thought.

Thanks for the reply.  I took the whole burner apart and found a drill bit that just fit into some clean holes.  I used my Dremel tool to run the drill through all the burner holes and yes a found quite a few with buildup from boil overs although the ones with gunk still lit ok.  But this thing is really cleaned out now.  I saw something on the web on newer types of burners that have directional nozzles and people were using Permatex sealant on the threads as they tended to leak.  I have a full tube of that stuff since I have used in on car parts.  Do you think that stuff would work?  I take it the stuff you were talking about is a type of silicone sealant and is in the form of a sheet and you make you own gasket so to speak from those sheets.  Am I getting it right?  Thanks for the reply.  This burner is certainly going to be clean in the morning!! LOL  That PBW is great stuff. 

Greetings - personally, I would not use Permatex as this product will, or can, tend to move into spaces you may not want it to go.  While it's a great sealant, it will certainly give you some headaches if you ever need to disassemble the burner in the future.  Below is a link to the product I was referring to.  This particular sheet is 12" X 12". Basically, you cut the shape you need assuming the shape is something tangible and not threads on a nozzle.  If you need a high temperature thread sealant, let me know and I can recommend that as well.

I have traced many components and cut the sheet with a scissors.  If you can't trace the component, smear a heavy layer of cooking oil on the surface component and press it onto the sheet.  When you lift the component, the oil will be your pattern.

This company has many sheet sizes to choose from. It's silicone so temperature is NOT an issue and it will last forever.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-silicone-rubber-sheet-gaskets/=

Good luck and I hope this information helps.

Thanks again for the reply.  Heck, the price is very reasonable to say the least.  I could make at least two gaskets since the actual size of the gas inlet is 4.25" in diameter.  I will see if I can order online and get it ordered ASAP.  The burner cleaned up beautifully.  Dried in in the oven at 200 degrees for four hours so it is good and dry now.  Thanks again and certainly a good tip for me since I will last a very long time.

Ordered and on the way!!  Thanks much.

Back