• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Add Check PH Brew Step

keoki04

Apprentice
Reaction score
I know this may be a bit silly, but is there any way to add a default step to check the PH level of the mash?  I believe if you're going to check the PH, the sample should be drawn from the mash 10 minutes in.  I like printing out the "Brew Steps" page when I'm brewing.  I find it very useful to keep me on track and provides me a check list, without using a PC or other electronic while brewing.  Well, the timer on the Beersmith mobile app is really nice and I do use that.  I think this additional step/line in the process would help me remember to set the timer and take the sample.

I've done a few searches on here and using Google, but I cannot seem to find a way to add it properly in the mean time.  I tried adding a step to the mash tab for the specific brew I am working on, but it seems like it just doesn't fit in there right.  I am going to keep working on it to see how I can manually add it, but it would be nice if it was a default like the step "If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort".

Thanks for all the work you do Brad!

To get this to show up on the timer, you will need to break down the mash steps.  For instance, if you are doing a single infusion by adding the water and stirring for 5 minutes and holding at temperature for 60 minutes you would set up your mash steps as follows:

1.  Infusion step:  add water at xx degrees, rise time of 5 minutes, hold time of 0 minutes, at temperature (mash temp)
2.  pH check (added as temperature step): rise time of 0 minutes, hold time of 1 minute at (mash temp) degrees
3.  Temperature rest:  rise time of 0 minutes, hold time of 60 minutes at (mash temp) degrees

I am using the BIAB Full Body mash profile. It has 2 steps but the timer just combines them. It never alarms at the 10 minute mash out step.

Back