• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

sparge water profile?

metalist

Apprentice
Reaction score
hello,

i want to know about sparge water to had adjust mineral need to or not?   

and absolutely i adjust strike water too

sorry , im little bit english language

thanks

Greetings mentalist - if I understand your question, you're asking if acid adjustments are needed in the sparse water.  If so, the answer is Yes. Water adjustments are needed to maintain a specific pH level throughout the mashing process.

oh thanks, KellerBrauer

I mean mineral  Calcium,Magnesium,Sodium,Sulfate,Chloride,Bicarbonate

thanks Your kindness,

Correct you should treat the entire body of water to the water profile you are looking for.  Personally I look at it like this, Chloride and Sulfate are my salt and pepper for brewing.  I use these to get the water profile I'm looking for, i need calcium in there for good mash conversation and yeast health (granted its argued that the grain itself will give you more then enough calcium on its own).  Once you have the water profile you want to use acid or baking soda (bi carbonate) to achieve the ph you want.  Its best to look at your mineral additions and ph as two separate targets and since the minerals will effect your ph this is why you do your mineral additions first and finally adjust ph after.

While mash ph is important for conversation (5.2 to 5.8 ) ultimately you are setting up the correct ph for the finished beer.  This is why adjusting the entire body of your water is the goal as what you are really targeting is the correct ph and water profile for the beer after fermentation.

The quick and dirty ph lesson through out the brewing process is this.

Mash - 5.2 to 5.5
boil - 5.0 to 5.2
finished beer - 4.0 to 4.5

You want to target the lower end ph to bring out crisp, tart, or hop expression in the beer.  Target the higher end for rounded smooth beers (dark beers).  This is just a general guide and doesn't apply to everything but hopefully this helped.

-Justin

Back