• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

reverse osmosis minerals additions

wiesn_kraut

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Just getting into water profiles and will use RO water, I've read about the subject and played with brewer's friend water calculator and EZ water calculator. After I add the minerals to the mash water for the correct PH, Heat to mash temp, Add grains and stir. when do I check the PH  and if the PH is to high or low what do I do.

I stir in the grains for about 10 minutes before taking a small sample cup with about 20 cc of wort.  I chill it down to room temp and take an initial pH reading.  This generally happens within 5 minutes of getting the sample if you have a ice water bath. If it is between 5.2 and 5.6, I would not make any adjustments.  To raise the pH, add a very small amount of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda); to lower the pH, add an acid such as lactic acid, dilute phosphoric acid, or citric acid.  If you have done adjustments before hand using Bru'n water, EZ water, or BeerSmith, you should already be in the ball park.  I repeat the pH measurement at the end of mashing.

Note that the ideal pH range of 5.2 to 5.6 is measured at room temperature. 

Back