• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Higher ABV?

dmurphy0621

New Forum Member
Reaction score
TWO QUESTIONS: 1) I brewed a white IPA last Monday and pitched a yeast starter. O.G. before yeast pitch was 1.069. Activity (bubbling) stopped by Saturday. Checked gravity yesterday and it was 1.032. Lid was open long enough to take sample (2 minutes tops) and bubbling started as soon as I put lid back on. Seemed normal to me so I ignored it. Check on it an hour later and it was still going like it was active. Still bubbling today. Checked gravity today and it was the same, 1.032. Is fermentation done? I feel like i should maybe wait a few more days before racking? Thoughts? 2) I was disappointed in the ABV so how would I go about getting my gravity reading down a few notches? Say, 1.020-1.025? I am scheduled to dry hop 2 ozs at racking so would that help lower my S.G.? Thanks for any help on this.

What yeast was used?

How did you brew? Was this an extract brew? All-grain? Did you use top off water?

Did you taste your sample you took for the gravity reading? What did it taste like?

What temperature did it ferment at? What temperature is it now?

And no, a dry hop addition will do nothing for your gravity reading.

Yeah consider all the questions that LBF asked and, if it was all grain, what about mash temp?

I take it you're confident you pitched enough yeast? I've had some brews last up to two or four weeks before they finished primary fermentation. So much so, that I don't check anything until day 10 minimum nowadays.

I'd leave it another week and see what happens. Perhaps pitch another vile/pack of yeast (no need for another starter) if gravity hasn't moved at all.

Greetings dmurphy - it sounds like you have a stuck fermentation.  Some yeasts are prone to doing this.  So, temperature has a lot to do with a good strong continuous fermentation.  If the temperature has fallen near or below the yeasts low end, that may have caused it to stall out....among other possibilities.

Also, I assume you're using a hydrometer to measure SG???  I also assume you're certain it's NOT off calibration??  I have heard of the rolled piece of paper sliding or moving in the tube rendering the hydrometer useless.  It seems very odd that the SG did not change from one day to the next with an active fermentation.  You should have notice some change, even a point or two.

Personally, if all the above proves okay, I would still wait a few more days and check the SG again. Keep us posted.

Question 2 - you really can't change the ABV after the brew is in the fermentation process unless you want to literally add alcohol.  Changing the ABV is something you do during the formulation and design process.

Back