• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Priming Solution

Squid2016

Apprentice
Reaction score
Per How to Brew:  Boil 3/4 cup of corn sugar (4 oz by weight) in 2 cups of water.  I planning to have 3.5 vol in a saison (using belgium bottles) which equates to around 6.5 oz of corn sugar.  Do I still use 2 cups of water?  How to determine how much water is used to make priming solution?

5 gal batch, but of course once get into bottle bucket will be less.

typical ratio for 5 gal batches is 2 cups water.  If making a smaller batches, could reduce water not to dilute?  (16 cups to a 1 gal... 80 cups to 5 gal.. 80/2 = .025)  if making a 1 gal batch, could use half cup of water.  (16 cups * .025)

Realistically, you only need enough water to solvate the sugar.  At room temperature, around 200 grams of sugar will dissolve in 100 grams of water.  Solubility increases as the temperature rises.  So if you need approximately [6.5 oz/5 gal] 1.3 oz of sugar (~37 grams of sugar) it should very comfortably dissolve in 2 ounces of water (~60 grams). 

After the beer has been cold crashed down to around 2degC I've been dissolving my sugar in say 500ml of the finished beer heated up in my high speed blender and then add it to my fermenting vessel then give it a few days to mix.  This saves having to mix it into a separate bottling bucket.  I haven't had any issues with this method.  I have seen youtube simply sprinkling the sugar and gently stirring.

Back