• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewery Waste

ThePike

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Any ideas on disposal of microbrewery waste when only septic tank is available? (rural location)

If you are in a rural area, look for people raising goats cows or chickens.  Spent grains are especially high in proteins and non-digestible fiber.

For solids I have heard that spent grain makes an excellent addition to compost so if there is a landscaping place nearby they may be keen to take it off your hands or as has been suggested use it as an supplement to animal feed. My chickens love it!

For liquid it will depend on how much volume you will have but there is a lot of info online on agricultural waste water management.  Check out what other ag industry in your area are doing with their waste water.

I've seen a couple microbreweries (very micro) take spent grains and bake them into dog treats that they give away to guest's dogs. Just make sure there are no hops in the spent grains because that is poisonous to dogs.

I spread the spent grains on my lawn as a compost. My wife's Doberman then eats them, and then fertilizes other parts of the lawn.

Trub and any stuff that may have hops gets put down sink or in trash depending on it's "solidity".

Never had a problem with it. Waste water from cooling goes in the garden.

Back