• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beer Gun Questions

Beer Lover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Right to the point.  What is the purpose and benefits of a beer gun?  Is a beer gun used to move all ready carbonated beer from a keg to bottles?  If that's the case I would see a benefit of no oxygen in the bottled beer.  There would be no need for priming sugar to carbonate your beer. 
Also are there any recommendations on which beer gun to purchase?  I am willing to pay more for a higher quality product.

Cheers!!!

It is mainly used to fill bottles directly from a keg system while trying to minimize oxygen.  Obviously its not perfect, but it does a pretty good job.

My personal pick (just my opinion) would be the new Beer Gun from Blichmann - he just came out with an improved model.  To be fair, though, I don't own any of the other brands of beer gun.

I don't use it all that much since I more frequently will fill a growler direclty from the tap if a friend wants a sample or I need to take beer over to someone's house.  I have a short hose that goes into the end of the tap and lets me fill growlers from the bottom up to avoid too much foaming.

I really only fill bottles from the gun when I have a large number to give out for a special event or perhaps for competition (though I don't compete myself much).  If you keg wine/mead or cider it can also be useful for filling those bottles from a keg.

Brad

I've had some success with the Blichman Beer Gun. I have also tried a generic counter-pressure filler (Beer Gun much easier). In the end, I opted for tap/fridge set up and have nearly abandoned bottles. The little bit of oxygen I don't think is much of an issue in the short term (longer storage may be a different issue). The counter pressure filler is intended to address the oxygen concern as you can purge a bottle with CO2 and then fill. But in practice I never had a lot of luck with the mechanism or technique. Again, I went with the kegging and draft setup, and while it cost a bit, it makes for happier brewing and drinking :)

I picked up a Last Straw Bottle Filler on a sale from Northern Brewer last year and use it for bottling for Competitios. Very easy to use and plenty of videos on YouTube of both types.

Back