• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How does Beersmith estimate FG?

slightlyoffbeat

Apprentice
Reaction score
I know most people do something along the line of:

GP = (1 - attenuation%) * (Original gravity points)

But I realized that that equation would never allow for a FG lower than 1.000. There must be a better way. I know beersmith can estimate a FG lower than 1.000. Any chance of sharing how that is calculated?

Cheers.

In general it applies the average yeast attenuation number to get the FG estimate.  However an additional factor is added in based on mash temperature if you are brewing all grain which accounts for higher/lower attenuation due to mash temps.  Finally BeerSmith adds an additional factor for sugars which are nearly 100% fermentable and generally reach higher attenuation than malt.  This is handled based on the gravity contributions of the sugar and can drive the FG below 1.000.

What is missing is a limit due to alcohol, as I don't currently have the alcohol limits for the yeast as part of the record.  I am hoping to add this for a future update.

Brad

Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Love the software and your attention to details.

Cheers.

Back