• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Installing .bsmx equipment profile file

Pears

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to install an equipment file on a mac and must be missing a step.

I can see the instructions say to save it into the profile folder but I can't work out how to do it. I can drag the file into Beersmith or use the file open command and the file opens ok. I just can't get it to save so I can select it as my equipment profile using preferences.

Also the person who sent me the file said "Don't forget to change the w/g ratio in settings." What do they mean by this?

Thanks

I did it!!!!

Had to use the copy and paste buttons at the top of the window!! Yay.

Can anyone clarify the chnage required to the w/g ratio settings?

The water to grain ratio is in the mash profile.  You can find the mash profiles in 'Profile' >> 'mash profiles'

Once you have selected the mash profile to alter, click on the 'mash in' or 'infusion' step in the box below the 'mash properties'.  Next click 'edit step' to open up a box where you can change the parameters for that particular step.  You can either enter the water to grain ratio for the infusion or enter the amount of water you want to add for the step and BeerSmith will figure out the water to grain ratio from that.

There is a lot to all of this but I am enjoying it.

Turned out they were referring to the grain absorption rate which I adjusted.

Now I have installed custom Grainfather equipment & mash profiles my beersmith water and sparge volumes are only 400ml off the grainfather calculations.

I'm happy with that.

Back