• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Convert from all grain OG off

thornwood

Apprentice
Reaction score
I converted a brown ale from all grain to extract.
Then from 10 gallons to 2 gallons.
Tweaked the sugars to get to Beersmith recipe OG 1.055

When I brewed it it came out OG=1.075!
I brewed it with someone to teach them, and end up looking foolish!

So in Beersmith I started a new extract recipe from scratch and added all the same ingredients, used the same 3 gallon pot.
For the new recipe OG is listed as 1.069.

The recipe has grains steeped at 150, so When I switch them both to partial mash I get 1.073 for both.
OK, that's my error, But that doesn't explain why the gravities are different in the extract versions.
Does anyone know why the discrepancy?

when I toggle back and forth between the two reciopes the only difference I see is OG, and estimated pre-boil volume.

Pre-boil volume is disabled (grayed out)
In the high gravity version Est pre-boil volume is -0.82
In the lower gravity version Est pre-boil volume is -0.3

Not sure what that value represents. How can a volume be negative?

Save your recipe as a .bsmx file and post it here.  I have a suspicion what may be wrong, but need to see the set-up to determine if what I think is wrong is actually the case.

To save the file, click on the recipe in the folder it resides to highlight it (not open).  Next click on 'file' and 'export selected' to save the file.

I have attached my Extract recipe. JSBrown.bsmx
Thanks!

Attachments

• JSBrown.bsmx
    20.4 KB · Views: 318
You have your 'top off water' set for 3 gal for a 2 gal recipe.  While this does not correct the problem, it will be difficult to get your process volumes calculated correctly.

You don't have your actual readings entered in the summary page, so it is difficult to determine just where a problem may have resulted from.

Next, if you came up with a post boil gravity of 1.075, either your batch size was closer to 1.3 gallons, your loss to trub and chiller was closer to zero, and/or you had a bad reading (stratified wort maybe?).  With extract and sugar comprising the majority of your fermentables, the only way your gravity could be off by that much is an error in volume or gravity measurement.

YES! You mentioned Trub loss.
The conversion / scale operation retained the same 1/2 gallon trub loss from my original 10 gallon all grain recipe!
I did not have any trub loss for the extract recipe, as I just added all the boil to the fermenter, including trub.

Going to the "Vols" tab and setting trub loss to zero fixed the issue.
Then when I change type to "Partial mash" the OG comes to 1.073 (0.002 of my measured OG)

Thank you very much for reply Oginme!

If Beersmith developers are watching, I would recommend zeroing out trub loss when converting to extract,
or scale it proportionally when scaling a recipe. (or both)

Attachments

• TestControl.bsmx
    20.4 KB · Views: 301
Back