• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Scale recipe don't consider my mash tun capacity

martylap

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. My question is: why BeerSmith don?t use my mash tun capacity to calculate the mash in water?

I found a recipe, a Imperial stout, on a 10 G mash tun. When I scale it for my 5 G mash tun, BeerSmith say I have to put 6.5 G of mash water for the mash in? It is impossible first for a 5 G mash tun and I have 13 kg of grain in it?

I was thinking before buying the software the BeerSmith are capable to adjust all these? :(

Thank you for your help.

Martin

BeerSmith uses the users' equipment profile and mash profile in connection with the batch size to calculate water/wort volumes through the process.  It does not adjust the water to grain ratio to make a recipe fit into the given volume of a mash tun, but flags the issue on the mash tab in the recipe with a red dot next to the 'mash volume needed'  calculation for the user to see that they are exceeding capacity.  It is then up to the user to change the mash profile for water to grain ratio or step infusion volume to accommodate the equipment size.

To have the software change these parameters, possibly without the user knowing or understanding what has been changed, would be both difficult to program (IMHO) and may enable the software to exceed limits for practical mashing practices.  It would really be an issue to me if I set up my mash profile to mash in with 3 kg/l (1.44 qts/lb) of water only to have the program reduce this to 2 kg/l (0.96 qts/lb) and end up with poor conversion.

So for your recipe, when you scale it to your equipment, it exceeds the capacity of your mash tun. You will find a red dot on the mash page next to the 'mash volume needed' calculated number and can then choose to alter the mash profile to lower the infusion ratio or make some other accommodation for the size of your system.

Back