• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith yeast starter size - pre or post boil?

Fr5ed

Apprentice
Reaction score
In the Starter tab, we have the Recommended Starter Size and the liquid yeast Starter Size.  Are these volumes pre-boil or post-boil?  Here are my notes re: the starter from my last batch:  Yeast starter. Boiled w/ 1500 ml H2O and 5.64 oz DME targeting 1200 ml batch at 1.050 SG. Result: 1300 ml at 1.053 SG. (Now shows I should have used 6.47 oz since I finished 100 ml higher volume.??)

I just need to know if the Recommended number is pre or post boil and if the number I plug in is pre or post boil...

Thanks!

Volume is for ml of wort post boiling.  I would also recommend a starter gravity of between 1.036 and 1.040 for best cell growth with least amount of stress on the yeast.

Thank you, Oginme!  I have gathered everything to prepare my next starter and here is your timely answer :)

Back