• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Need opinion on the use of these hops

MRMARTINSALES

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

Could somebody please tell me if the balance and lengh of time here will yield a nice  hoppy flavoured beer with a good aroma? the batch will be 31 Litres.

Im trying to use 2 hop types only

20g Chinook 60min
14g Cascade 30min
20g Cascade 5min

Not asking for advice or questions on the bitterness /  malt used i just want to know peoples opinions as to whether i'll get a hoppy aroma and taste?

Thanks

Just my opinion here, but I would take the cascade and move it later in the boil and whirlpool.  The 5 minute addition is good, move the 30 minute addition to a 20 to 30 minute whirlpool post boil.  Depending upon how much bitterness you will get from the chinook, you may want to bring a bit of that to the whirlpool as well.  Alternatively, add it in as a first wort hopping.  You will get a bit more hop flavor at the expense of intense bitterness in the finish.  These moves should give you a greater hop presence in flavor and some aroma. 

To really intensify the hop aroma, I would dry hop with more cascade at least 3 days.  My best hop forward recipes with intense hop aroma have come with dry hopping at 5 days and 3 days.

Food for thought.

Greetings - aside from the reply from Oginme, I would add that hop bitterness and flavor is highly dependent on the malty sweetness of the beer AND the actual alpha acid content of the hops.  I can easily see why you want your hop additions the way you've stated.  However, your beer will be roughly 8 gallons (31 L) and your first addition of chinook for 60 minutes is only 20 grams (.7 oz.). So depending on the malt sweetness, you may not get as much bitterness as you want with a batch that size.

I like the middle addition and the late addition, while small for 8 gallons (31 L) of beer (again, depending on the malt intensity). Lastly, I agree with Oginme about adding time for a dry hop addition and cascade is a nice choice.

My opinion: For me, beer is very personal and I happen to like balance.  Sure, I like a nice IPA, Double IPA or Imperial IPA now and then.  But moreover, for me, I like the balance of sweetness, bitterness, fruitiness, spice, etc..  So, what I'm saying is you create a beer that you enjoy and the hop additions you have outlined may provide that enjoyment.  While it's nice to get the opinion from others, ultimately, it's your creation and if you're not satisfied with this batch, learn from it and make it better next time.

Good luck!

This is my recipe. Im not sure what you mean by the link between sweetness and bitterness.

Does this look about right?

Greetings - bitterness is a perception offset my the malt sweetness and vise versa.  In other words, if your FG was 1.035and your IBU was 20, you would taste very little bitter as it would be overcome by the sweetness of the malts.  On the other hand, if you were brewing a Hefe, for example, and had a FG of 1.010 and a 20 IBU, your perception of the bitter would be much greater because there would be little sweetness to offset the bitter.  I hope that makes sense.

Looking at your recipe, your FG will finish at 1.010 and your IBU is at 32.6. That tells me you are developing a "hop forward" beer where the hops will take front seat, if you will, to the malt.  I consider the malt to be the backbone of a beer and the hops contribute flavor and offset to the sweetness.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Back