• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Forced Carbonation

KJlive

Apprentice
Reaction score
I love to home brew, but I just don't have the time lately. My wife bought me a Picobrew. It isn't as fun as home brewing, but OK for now. My question....I have always bottled. I never used a keg. I recently brewed a batch and naturally carbonated in a 2.5 Corney keg and it was fine. I would like to try force carbonation. I have a spare CO2 bottle and regulator. What is the best way to force carbonate? Some folks state to set the PSI at 20 for 2 days. Others state to use the out line and force through the beer at 7 PSI for 7 days. (Some opinions stated that this makes no difference). Another stated to use the out line, set to 30 PSI and roll the keg for 20 minutes and it is ready to go. Obviously, there are multiple methods and opinions. What is the simplest method? Extra time is not an issue for me. Any help would be appreciated.

Greetings - try this link I found in the Blog/Podcast section of the BS website.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2015/02/11/carbonation-options-for-your-home-brewed-beer/

Hope this helps!

Set to a serving pressure of 11 or 12 psi at about 38 F. Usually it's well carbed in about 3 weeks for me. The shorter kegs carb a lot faster, as does colder beer. I have also chilled a keg overnight, hit it with 30psi and rolled around for 10 minutes or so and then let sit for 12 hrs. at 30 psi before lowering to serving pressure with fair results. 

Unless you're in a hurry, the first option is best. Essentially, your beer is lagering for 2 or 3 weeks which does nothing but improve most styles in my opinion. Also, be sure you have a check valve between your regulator and the keg if you use the second method.

I found that rolling the kegs just created mass amounts of foam upon dispensing. I just leave at 28 psi for a couple of days, then relieve and set to 10 psi to dispense. At fisrt it is a bit undercarbed, gradually gets more carbed. Eventually I turn off gas and bump up a bit as needed to dispense.
CHEERS

If you look online there are carbonation charts to print. Temp. and co2 pressure are what you need to know....ie at a certain temp and given co2 pressure the beer will absorb about 2.5 volumes. Just find the level of carbonation for the beer you brewed or the level you want and set it up that way.  My opinion of the old "shake rattle and roll method is for people who are in a hurry. If you take the time to do it right it is WELL worth it to me. hope this helps. You will need to have control of the temp for sure

Back