• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

On exit, all settings/recipes/anything new is lost

P

Paperface

I've recently upgraded to Vista (well, dual boot actually) and after reinstalling beersmith, i'm having a major problem. First off, the program runs great - I can add new recipes, import my old settings, etc, but the minute I exit the program, ALL the new stuff is lost. When I reopen Beersmith, my newly added recipes, ingredients, etc are gone. It happens every time. Not sure what could be causing this. It used to work fine before the upgrade/reinstall.

Things that I have tried:
-Insuring that I have proper priveleges to access the Beersmith program directory (I'm admin anyway).
-reinstall again
-reinstall to different directory

Some important things to note about my setup:
-Vista is installed to the Z: drive (dual boot, remember?)
-Beersmith is installed to the H: drive.
Neither of these should be a problem if the program just referes to the Programdir and not the "C:\" drive explicitly.

Hi,
  My strong recommendation is to look at both the directory permissions and the file permissions for the installation.  In Vista, BeerSmith will often be installed as an administrator and then have problems writing when you switch back and run as a normal user.

Take a look at the directory and file permissions and make sure you have write permissions.  If you don't, BeerSmith will be unable to save the session data and behave as you described above.

Cheers,
Brad

I have a problem as well. I go to export a file to a directory that was made inside of BeerSmith and all goes well, until I try to find the folder under Windows Explorer, it is not there. I make a folder, under Windows Explorer. The folder is there, but when I save to the folder, nothing is there. I removed the READ ONLY option, but that does not help. Any other things I can try?

Hi,
  I'm working hard on this one - naturally I can't get it to occur on my computers.

However - what OS are you running?  Do you have the latest BeerSmith version?  Is there any chance you are running it outside of the default location (from a removable or secondary drive)?

I don't quite understand your description of Windows Explorer? - Is the problem that you can't find the C:\Program Files\BeerSmith directory from explorer?

Also - I would not rule out reinstalling as an option with the latest version.  Be sure to save off all of your BSM files first so you can import them back in later.

Thanks,
Brad

BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  My strong recommendation is to look at both the directory permissions and the file permissions for the installation.  In Vista, BeerSmith will often be installed as an administrator and then have problems writing when you switch back and run as a normal user.

Take a look at the directory and file permissions and make sure you have write permissions.  If you don't, BeerSmith will be unable to save the session data and behave as you described above.

Cheers,
Brad

Hi there, I thought I would resurrect this old post because I have been experiencing the same problem as Paperface on my Vista notebook. All the changes I make to recipes or ingredients etc are lost when I close the application and restart. I have taken ownership of the "C:\Program Files\Beersmith" directory through the folder's properties window (according to this guide: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/25/how-to-take-ownership-and-grant-permissions-in-windows-vista/), but I am still getting the same problem.

I read elsewhere on the homebrewtalk.com forum in a post by Brad that under Vista, Beersmith stores its data under a 'compatability directory', such as: "C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BeerSmith". My system does not actually have a directory like this, I think because I believe my system is running on a domain. (It's a work computer, he he...) This may be contributing to my problems...

Is there any advice you would be able to lend for my situation. I'm not sure what to do! Thank you for any help you can offer.

Hi,
  I have one other suggestion, which is to try installing BeerSmith to a directory you do have direct permissions to such as a subdirectory under your "Documents" folder.  The compatability directory under Vista is a feature to get around writing user data to the Program Files directory (which BeerSmith does).  If you are a limited user you might have problems writing to this especially on a work computer where they limit your permissions.

Bypassing this by installing directly to your documents directory might just fix the whole problem for you.

Brad

Brad,

Thank you for the suggestion. I was able to reinstall, import my files, re-enter serial # and the changes to recipes and such do stick now!

Thank for the wonderful product and your support!

Back