• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Looks Like I Have a Infection?

Beer Lover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
This is a Cream Ale that's been in secondary for 4 weeks. On top of the beer is a white film with large bubbles.  Could this be Pellicle?  What type of infection is this?  It has been suggested that I replace any plastic items that came in contact with the wort after the boil. Items like any hoses, air locks, bungs and racking cane.  I am sure there's more.  I use glass carboys so a good heavy cleaning would work. 

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Yes, it looks like floating colonies of something other than yeast to me.  The only way to really figure out what it is would be to sample it and check it with a good microscope to help identify the type of bacteria or yeast. 

That certainly looks like a pelicle.  Change all the plastic bits you can and then clean and sterilise everything else thoroughly. Taps are a common source. If you can take them off then clean them out and boil them. If they take apart then do that first. I have a plate chiller which I clean out the best I can then boil it periodically. I use a stainless fermenter which I soak it in a mild solution of bleach occasionally before rinsing it very thoroughly. Sometimes an infection can come from your hands. I use an anti-bacterial hand gel whilst I'm  brewing.

Back