• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What kind of beer did I make?

Joeycaliente

Apprentice
Reaction score
908g sparkling Amber DME
1oz cascade hops
1lb Crystal 40
1lb roasted barley
2 cans of Mr. beer classic American Light malt extract
Nottingham ale yeast
I boiled the grains for 1hour an 1/2 at 157F and I added hops at the last 10 min of the boil. Next I added the cans of malt extract and the DME cooled it down and added the yeast at 84F.
I made 5 gallons of something dark with a initial reading of 1.040 and a final reading of 1.012.
Does anyone know what this is? Porter/brown ale/stout or something else?
Thanks for any help here.
Joey Caliente.

maybe an Amber Ale?? If it's good......who cares. as charlie said  don't worry, relax have a homebrew :)

It boiled for almost one and a half hours. The wort ended up really dark. It looks like a porter with maybe slight hints of Amber but only slightly. I've looked at pictures of what others suggested but it doesn't look like my brew.  The problem I have is I don't know what Mr. Beer used or the type of hops. It tastes a little hoppy which is not like an Irish red ale but I could be wrong and it doesn't look like an amber ale either. I was just trying to make a bad beer drinkable and I think I succeeded, but I have no clue what it is.

I was only worried about it not being boiled, for sanitation purposes.  Since you boiled it, it's fine.  It doesn't really matter what kind of beer it is though.  If it's drinkable, then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I would suggest that you get a copy of the books "Brewing Classic Styles" and "How to Brew".  How to brew will teach you about how to brew, no matter if it is with extracts or all grain.  Brewing Classic Styles will give you recipes for most classic styles, so that you can learn why certain ingredients are used in each style.

Back