• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wrong Estimated OG

Jonas.SWE

New Forum Member
Reaction score
E.g. in a recipe where I have an est OG of 1.051 but an measured go of 1.054 I'm trying to adjust my equipment profile so that it match. My guess is that my boil off is more than I had in my profile, so I changed from 2l boil off to 3l/h, but nothing happened to my Est OG?? I also tried changing the boil time from 60 to 120min, again nothing happens to the Est OG...?
Why do I have to fill in volumes in my equipment settings if it doesn't reflect in my recipes? What am I doing wrong?
And why can I adjust volumes both in the equipment and in the recipe, just seems weird to me.. //jonas

Your results for sugar extracted (and inevitably OG) are dependent upon your brewhouse efficiency in BeerSmith.  When you change your volumes within the program, it will adjust the mash efficiency to recover the sugars extracted to maintain the brewhouse efficiency where you set it in your equipment profile. You can make all kinds of changes to trub loss and boil off rate and it will not affect your OG because of this dependence on the Brewhouse efficiency.

Your best move is to look at the recipe which you had the 1.054 vs predicted 1.051 OG and see what BeerSmith calculates for your Meas[ured] Efficiency (assuming that you entered the appropriate data into BeerSmith measured fields when you brewed) which can be found on the 'Sessions' tab and to adjust your equipment profile to reflect this number.

Back