• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carbonation

sevvi7

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi - My first post so here goes ! Been brewing an American Lager receipe - All Grain - and pitched with Saflager w34/70 yeast. It has been lagering in my brew fridge at 37 F  for 10 weeks.
About to bottle but wondering if I should add small amount of dried yeast to ensure the lager gets carbonated. If so - how much to use for 15 litre batch ?
Thanks in Advance.

I haven't actually heard of anyone using yeast to carbonate. At least not directly. You already would've pitched the yeast before fermenting. So to begin the carbonation process, you would just use sugar and water.

Greetings sevvi7 - after 10 weeks in the fermenter and being it's a lager, there will most likely not be any yeast left in suspension to carbonate your brew.  You will have to pitch more yeast and I would use the same yeast you used for primary fermentation.

My suggestion is to go ahead and use 50% of the 11.5g package (5.75g) and condition using the recommended amount of priming sugar at 59 degrees for about 3 weeks.  Then begin lowering the temperature down to about 35 degrees for the duration of the Lager.  Make sure you properly rehydrate the yeast before blending with the beer.

Hope it works out!
Good luck!

Back