• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Est Mash pH

Searchlight

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My Est Mash pH value does not change with different water profiles with different RA.
Is there something I am missing?

Kind regards

Searchlight Brewery.

Greetings searchlight - the estimated mash pH is based on the grain bill without water additions.  I believe the reason is because water is pH neutral - 7.0 pH (+/-).  Also, I'm not sure what your reference to "RA" designates, so I can't help with that one.

Hi KellerBrauer,

Thanks for the response.
RA stands for residual alkalinity, it basically acts as a buffer to the grain bill. I would have thought the estimated pH would take this into account as it plays a big roll in mash pH.

Thanks,

Searchlight Brewery.

Hello,

I'm not sure why the value does no change

Ignore water pH it has no bearing on mash pH or any other pH in the brewing process. I add a small quantity of DWB to the dry Malt prior to the mash, this is a formulated blend of minerals. The calcium ions are what aid the phosphates in the mash to alter the pH. By adding the correct amount of calcium the mash will be buffered enough to lower the pH down to the recommended mash range of 5.1 to 5.3. I measured my mash pH and it was spot on at 5.2. Mash pH is an important part of the brewing process.....well in my view

Sorry I couldn't help 

Back