• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Tun Addition

PDV

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, guys! I have an "clone" of Braumeister. Am I right, that Mash Tun Addition is the volume between the bottom of mash tun and the bottom of boiling vessel (like on picture)?

bs2_question.jpg

Mash tun addition is the part of the area you marked which can be drained out of the mash tun.  The rest is mash tun dead space.

OK, thank you, but...

1. I have 3.5 liters below the drain (just measured with the water) and 7.7 liters from the bottom of kettle to the bottom of mash basket. So it's 3.5 of not recoverable volume and 4.2 of Mash Tun Addition, correct?
2. Should I use Lauter Tun Losses or Loss to Trub and Chiller for losses here? Because after mashing I just remove my basket and boil my wort here (I don't have a counterflow chiller btw).

bs2_q2.jpg

PDV said:
OK, thank you, but...

1. I have 3.5 liters below the drain (just measured with the water) and 7.7 liters from the bottom of kettle to the bottom of mash basket. So it's 3.5 of not recoverable volume and 4.2 of Mash Tun Addition, correct?
2. Should I use Lauter Tun Losses or Loss to Trub and Chiller for losses here? Because after mashing I just remove my basket and boil my wort here (I don't have a counterflow chiller btw).

bs2_q2.jpg

Since you remove the basket and boil in the same kettle, your space below the basket is all 'recoverable volume' as far as the software is concerned.  When you finish and drain the wort into the fermenter, if you end up with 3.5 liters in the bottom which you cannot pour out, this becomes part of the 'loss to trub and chiller'.

And the last question (I swear!) :)

Check these 2 pictures. Same sizes of Batch Size and ingredients, but different for Post Boil volume and trub losses. And both have the same Est OG. Is this correct? I mean, if we have different water volumes after the boiling isn't that means we should have different OG?

q2_1.jpg

q2_2.jpg

Yup, except that the recipes are marked as 'all-grain' which means that the program (for better or worse) applies the mash efficiency to the corn sugar listed.  When you add a greater amount of trub loss, the program assumes it can draw more gravity points from the sugar.  If you had the recipe marked as 'extract' then the program would just deal with the sugar that you had and adjust the gravity downward in response to the increased water being added to compensate for the trub loss.

I know it is not perfect, but this is why the program gives three settings for a recipe type.  This flags the program to deal with the availability of the sugars which can be extracted differently from each other.  'extract' will assume that the majority of the gravity points are from the extract addition and use this as a fixed amount of sugar.  Under 'partial mash' the program fixes the amount of gravity points from the extract or sugar and then calculates the mash efficiency needed to obtain sugars from the mashed grains.  Lastly, with an 'all-grain' recipe type, the mash efficiency is used to figure the majority of sugars will be extracted from the grains to meet the demand established by the brew house efficiency and water volumes.

Back