• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Geezer brewing

LowellR

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm just turning 77 and finding it difficult brewing all grain outside, thinking of extract inside. It's been many years since I have brewed extract, would like some tips and tricks. How to do a full boil, wife has a range with a glass top and does not want that much weight on it. I was thinking of electric boil kettle in the laundry room. Please share your experience with me. I have been brewing for 12 yrs., I guess what I need is any improvements in extract brewing?

Greetings Lowell - I can't offer much information on extract brewing, but I can offer a suggestion on an electric burner should you choose to purchase one.

I struggled with my 1500 watt convection "hot plate" type burner. It took forever to heat my strike water and even longer when I tried using it for a 5 or 6 gallon boil. So, I purchased a Waring Induction Burner. It's 115v, 1800 watt commercial grade burner. I use it strictly for my hot liquor kettle. It heats water twice as fast as my old burner.  I love it!!

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Back