• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BIAB with sparge set up

enkamania

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm looking to experiment with BIAB with a small sparge.  I want my mash profile to have 90% of the water in dough in and 10% sparge.  If I do a grain weight the same as my profile, it works.  If the grain is less, it's more sparge water and if the grain is more, sparge is less.  Is there a way to have it work like I want it to automatically with a 90/10 split?

If your batch sizes are constant, what you would do is go into the mash profile for each recipe and change the initial strike water to be the same volume, each time. The mash profiles use the liquor to grist ratio, not the water volume because it creates consistent mashes for most brewers.

The other thing you may need to vary is strike temperature. The more liquor to grist, the higher temperature the resulting mash will be.

For my money, I'd stick with consistent mash thickness and temperatures (which is how BeerSmith is designed) and add the sparge water once full conversion is reached. For me, it's a lot less work than all the associated adjustments that are often needed. I notice wide differences in mash pH and tannins when running variable thickness mashes.

Not precisely.  If you set up your mash profile for an average grain bill, then you will get approximately that split for the majority of your recipes. 

Why specifically a 90/10 split?

Oginme said:
Not precisely.  If you set up your mash profile for an average grain bill, then you will get approximately that split for the majority of your recipes. 

Why specifically a 90/10 split?

I'm looking to just add a small amount of sparge water.  I've been a non sparger forever, but we got a hot water dispenser so I thought I give sparging a shot slowly.

Back