• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Refractometer calibration

GY brewer

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to calibrate my cheap refractometer using the beersmith2 tool. I have done 4 different SG readings/refractometer and have 4 different Brix correction factors? All at or close to 20 degrees Celsius. Refractor is calibrated to 0 with distilled water. These are my results:
4.99 Brix, 1.025 SG = 0.78992 factor
10, 1.041 = 0.98032
4.8, 1.018 = 1.04813
11.7, 1.039 = 1.20347

Anyone know why I'm getting such variable correction factors?
Thanks

With a refractometer, you are relying upon a couple of drops to represent the entire pot of wort.  You first need to make sure that your wort is well mixed.  I take at least three readings, stirring the wort and wiping the refractometer clean between each, to make sure that I achieved a good sample.  The plus with the refractometer is that you don't need to take a large sample and cool it down.  You can take a couple of drops and by the time you get to reading it, the sample is at or near room temp.  I always start by making sure the refractometer reads zero with distilled water before hand.

I use my refractometer for readings during the brew session and then take my OG reading with both the refractometer and hydrometer so that confirms the calibration of the refractometer. 

Back