• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Step Water Volume Seems Crazy High and I can't Change?

poptop

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm struggling with the amount of water that BeerSmith wants me to use in the mash set (see attached file). I "think" that I want to use about 16 quarts of water for 12 pounds of grain in a round Igloo mashtun. However BeerSmith wants me to use 37.06 quarts ....even though I force a change in the mash step details.

So, how do I "fix" this so that I can either correct or fix this so I get about 1.2 quarts of water per pound of dry grain?

Attachments

• Beersmith water issue.JPG
    Beersmith water issue.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 407
You already had the mash step open in the picture you showed.  Click in the box for 'water/grain ratio' and change it to 1.2 (actually, I would recommend a minimum of 1.25 qts/lb of grain).

Even though I change the grain to water ratio ....it returns to the previous figure (see attached video and/or link): https://www.useloom.com/share/5d0f61d8c6c4448bab6581828579580e

Attachments

• beersmith water issue (shows dialog box ) (low res).mp4
    1.8 MB
First, check your mash profile.  Is the box for 'BIAB mash with full boil' checked?  Uncheck this box, as it overrides the changing of the water to grain ratio setting in favor of adding the full volume of water up front.  Once you have done this then highlight the mash step.  Below the step box, click on 'edit mash step'.  Now change the water to grain ratio and save.

:) That did it! Joy Joy Joy! You're a genius ....I would have never figured that one out. Thank you so much for taking the time to watch my video and provide the answer!

Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!

Back