• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Add Mash out step

jandawil

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey all,

I thought I could do this in the past, but am having a hard time trying to figure out how to add an addition infusion step for mash out.  When I add a second infusion step, it doesn't seem to realize that I am trying to raise the temp from 152 to 168...it seems to be acting like I'm starting a 168 degree mash from scratch.  I can't find any sort of instruction on how to do this. 

Are you doing a BIAB mash?  If so, and if you have your mash profile set for full volume BIAB, then the program will not allow you to add more water into the mash.  In this case, you will need to edit the profile and uncheck the box for a 'BIAB mash will full volume' to allow you to set the mash out step correctly.

If this is not the case, open up the mash profile you wish to edit.  If there is no mash out step, then you will need to 'add mash step', otherwise, 'edit' the mash out step.

Make sure the step type is set for 'infusion' to tell the program that you are adding water.

Next, set the temperature you wish to achieve for the mash out.  Now set the volume of water you want to add in this step.  You may need to work this number a bit to get the temperature below boiling.  You have as much water to play with as is set for your sparge volume, and BeerSmith will just subtract the water volume for the mash out from the sparge volume.

Save the profile.  If you did your editing outside of the recipe, then you will need to update your recipe with this new mash profile.  If you changed it within your recipe and want it saved, then you will need to click on the small disk icon next to the mash profile to save it in your library of mash profiles.

Back