• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Eliminate chalk in water profile ingredients

raysmithtx

Apprentice
Reaction score
There's currently no way to tell Beersmith NOT to use chalk to modify the water profile. I don't see many people using chalk to modify their water these days. I would like to see a tick box next to things like chalk, canning salt, pickling lime, epsom salt, etc. to allow me to choose the ingredients I have on hand to modify the water profile. Then Beersmith could adjust the amount of those ingredients to fit my desired water profile.

Greetings raysmithtx - I'm certainly no water expert as water is a very complex subject.  But I can tell you that the additions (salts) BS recommends are there to equal, or try and match, the particular water profile you selected.  If a particular salt is recommended, it's because it's needed to match that profile.  You can choose to use the salt, or not.  If you have BS add the water additions to your recipe and you choose not to use it, simply delete it.  However, doing so would prevent you from matching the profile you selected - which kind of nay gates the purpose of matching a profile.

I hope this makes sense.

Raysmithtx, I agree.  I would like to, at the least, be able to remove the chalk addition so the software comes up with the best additions without chalk.  Being able to customize which salts are used in the calculation would be fantastic!  I do not use chalk myself.  For now, I've been manipulating numbers in the software until I get close with chalk at zero ppm.

I have to agree that I would love to be able to lock out chalk from the water profile tool. I also go through a bunch of adjustments to zero out the chalk.

Back