• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

solenoid valve for herms in idiot english please

soymateofeo

Apprentice
Reaction score
ok.  I am struggling to find information.  I have a herms system with a separate vessel for my hot water/heat exchanger.  In that vessel i have a bucket heater on a unistat iia temp controller.  My temps hit 155 all the time just fine and hold well.

Now, I'd like to ditch the heat exchange vessel and use my HLT as a heat source.  I can do a few things. 
1.  I can cycle my pump on and off with the temp controller. This would work but I'd like to circulate continuously because my mind tells me that is better for some reason.

2. I can put a solenoid valve in line so that it opens and closes with the temp controller sending water to the heat exchanger as needed.  ????

My first choice is number 2, but I have no idea how to wire up a solenoid valve.  I know they make 110V valves.  Can I just put a plug on it and plug it into my temp controller?  I have zilcho electrical skills and figure that it can't be that easy.  I see all of these PID dealios and have no desire to go that route unless it can be done on the 3rd grade level, which is where I am.  HELP!

I'm assuming your HLT uses an electric heating element. If my assumption is wrong, disregard the following:

You can use your temp controller to activate a relay which will turn the heating element in your HLT on and off to maintain the desired temp in the HLT/HERMS water bath.

Back