• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Advice for a 39y old Dave Line recipe

fjbrolly

Apprentice
Reaction score
I made a Newcastle Brown Ale recipe from his book 'Brewing Beers like Those You Buy'. I was ok till I got to saccharin tablets and Hop extract. Not being able to find saccharin anywhere, I subbed 'Splenda', and not knowing what was available in 1978 for extracts, I just used pellet hops. Does anyone have any advice on better choices for these items? The batch was only put on yesterday, so I don't know yet if its going to be great or merely good...

I'm pretty sure that in 1978 that would have been, "hopped extract" rather than, "hop extract". most of the kits back then were a can of  pre-hopped liquid extract with a packet of dry yeast taped to the top of the can. Most of the included instructions involved adding close to an equal weight of con sugar to kick up the ABV. I don't think any of the kits listed the grain bill or hop schedule used to create the extract.

This would have been something great to research before committing to the brew. A search on many of the brewing forums would likely have netted you a great number of more current recipes.  Home brew, circa 1980+/_ sucked.

Back