• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

estimated original gravity vs final abv

Daytondave

Apprentice
Reaction score
When looking at the design tab in beersmith, for the majority of my recipes there I about a 4-5 point difference between the estimated original gravity and the estimated ABV. I am trying to understand why this is.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    83.3 KB · Views: 365
4 to 5 points difference from what?  Are you looking at the original gravity estimation and comparing that to the ABV estimation?  As in 1.064 = 6.4 to ABV =  6.0?

While there is a direct relationship between the potential ABV in a recipe as defined by the sugar content (original gravity) of the wort, the ABV is also influenced by the mash temperature (giving a variable amount of fermentable sugars vs. higher dextrins) and the yeast strain used (differences in attenuation between strains).  Further, actual fermentation temperatures will either maximize or minimize the activity of the yeast within the normal range of that yeast's attenuation range.

Back