• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Separate listing of water additions for Mash and Sparge

Javaslinger

Brewer
Reaction score
At present I do two addition in my Beersmith recipes for water additions.  One for the volume of the mash and another for the volume of the sparge.  Unfortunately the mineral additions in the recipe do not sort out that way.  It would be nice if the could grouped like this.  I think the water additions could be better integrated.

There are two basic reasons for mineral salt additions. 

The first is to help control the mash pH, in which case the minerals should all be added to the mash to buffer the pH in the desired range.  Adding the minerals to the sparge water does not help with controlling the mash pH.

The second is for flavor, in which case they can all be added after the mash so as not to affect the mash pH.

For some recipes, I split the mineral additions so that the critical salts for controlling the pH are added in the mash, but those added for flavoring (Carbonates, high levels Sulfates or Chlorides) I add to the collected wort and before the boil.

Back