• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lysozyme

carboy7

Apprentice
Reaction score
??? I got my newest edition of BYO mag. They have an article about the enzyme Lysozyme. Has anyone used it or know where to get it? I have never heard of it.
                            ::)

I have not used it but it appears to be primarily a wine additive extracted from egg whites.

Here's a quote from Norther Brewer:

Ref: http://www.northernbrewer.com/wine-ingredients.html

"When added at the rate of 1 gram/gallon, lysozyme will stop malolactic fermentation in wine. Some winemakers use half the normal dose instead of sulfite to kill naturally-occuring malolactic bacteria in red grape musts; if you later fine the wine with Bentonite, this will remove the lysozyme, and you can then add a cultured malolactic strain."

For beer I believe it is used to help kill off lactic acid bacteria that could sour or spoil the beer.  It is basically an anti-bacterial additive as it attacks bacteria but is not harmful to yeast.

Cheers!
Brad

Back