• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Proximity Malt

bejimlonger

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am from Milwaukee area and am trying a new grain source called Proximity Malt,  does anyone else have experience with this malt?
I am making a light lager which after the first step tastes pretty good.

bejimlonger said:
I am from Milwaukee area and am trying a new grain source called Proximity Malt,  does anyone else have experience with this malt?

never heard of it

It seems to be a malster local to your area. The good news is that there are more and more local malt houses opening up every year. In Michigan we have Pilot House and my co-workers brother in Detroit is co owner of Motor City Malt House. The best thing to do is just dive in and give it a try.

bejimlonger said:

Which grain from them are you using? Proximity is a newer malting house based out of Milwaukee and has two larger facilities in Colorado and in Delaware. They make a variety of grains and I have chewed most of them. I have some of their grains that I will be using in a few batches soon, but I expect them to be perfect for what I am looking to do.

Ive had really good success with some of the more delicate beer my company makes. We make a cream ale and substituted everything out for Proximity Malt to asses sensory impact. We set up a triangle test for sensory analysis. The beers side by side, with better known malt suppliers and prox malt, were no different.  Cool space cool company IMHO.

I've used Proximity Malt.  The first thing i noticed was how light and crisp the malt was compared to others.  I used the pale malt and crystal to make an IPA similar to Bells Two Hearted.  The final product has a more robust flavor profile than when I have used other malts.  I definitely recommend it.
Looking forward to trying more of their malts.

Back