• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Been using Beersmith for 6 months now...

merrimanbeer

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I'm a newish brewer, have about 18 batches under my belt.  Most of which have been added to BeerSmith on both my tablet and my computer (the cloud is great!).  I have joined this forum because I have decided to change my brewing pocess to a more time efficient one at the cost of batch size.  I have had an issue with Scaling to a new equipment profile, not taking into account the capacity limitations of the new equipment profile and for some reason requiring more water than my profile will hold.
Bottom line, I'm here looking for tips on setting this up correctly.  Thanks.

BeerSmith uses two profiles: Equipment profile which sets the size of your equipment, your process losses, and overall efficiency; and the Mash profile which sets the conditions of your mash process.  These two are not related in terms of capacities.  Entering a mash profile which adds more volume of water and grain to your mash tun or kettle than you have capacity for will be flagged by a red dot next to the volume checks on the mash tab of the recipe you are brewing.  When all is OK, that dot will be green.

So when you scale a recipe to a new size using a new equipment profile, you will need to go into that recipe to make sure that the mash profile within that recipe does not exceed the limits of your new equipment profile.  You can make adjustments from there to the mash profile to allow the volume additions to stay within the confines of your equipment.

Back