• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Conical fermenter

MRMARTINSALES

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Using a conical fermenter for the first time. Anybody know the sequence of removing settled yeast.

I.e do I rack my ale first then open the valve to let yeast out or do I let yeast out first until running as clear beer and then rack off into cask?

Thanks

Open the valve to collect the yeast, then run the beer into your keg or bottling bucket through the bottom of the conical.

Good luck wrestling the conical into something high enough allow you to drain it into a keg or bucket.

It depends on your fermentation profile / schedule.
I do a 2 stage in which I ferment for 1 week, then dump the yeast from the bottom of the conical.
I have a butterfly valve on the bottom of my conical, then a site glass and then a ball valve to help control the flow of the dump...
then I continue the secondary fermentation stage for another week.  At that point if not dry hopping, I rack to my kegs via the racking arm / valve.
There's usually no need to dump anymore yeast since there isn't as much as off the primary and the pickup tube from the racking arm sits above any yeast sediment at this point.
I hope this makes sense the way I am explaining it...  it may vary depending on your conical setup as well.
Let me know if you need more details.

FP

According to our brewing process, we simply have two stage during beer fermentation period: first stage pre fermenting the beer about 3-4 days, second stage (after closed the tanks) fermenting the beer about 4 days and then testing the diacetyl taste. If there no obviously taste, we can cool the temperature to 2 celsius degree for conditioning. If the beer still have obviously taste, we need extra 1-3 days fermenting time and then cool temperature down. When we finish cooling the temperature to 2 celsius degree, the yeast can recycle and use. Normally we need to drain about 1L yeast out directly from bottom valve. And the rest yeast need to empty when condition the beer for one week.
Hope our ideas can help you further. If you have further doubts, we can talk it further by email.
brewery at cnbrewery dot com
www.microbrewerysystem.com

Back