• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equipment Question--Keg Brew Pot

gruversm

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I just converted a 15 gallon keg into a brewpot.    Do I select "15 gallon Brew Pot" as my boiling pot, or do I need to create a new item?  Basically, is the 15 gallon brewpot profile for a regular pot or was it intended for a converted keg?

Hi,
  Yes, this is a good starting point, but you will likely need to adjust the equipment profile a bit to match your actual losses, boil off and other settings.

Brad

Jeff:  Stupid question...but how do I figure losses for theat keggle without actually doing a batch?

gruversm said:
Jeff:  Stupid question...but how do I figure losses for theat keggle without actually doing a batch?

I use a 15%/hour loss rate when boiling for my keggle.  You also need to calculate your deadspace I believe.  To do that add water to just above your valve stem.  Then allow the water to drain until it stops.  Pour the water remaining in the keggle into a container you can measure liquid volumes with.  That is your deadspace.

Thanks!  I've tweaked my settings for my Keggle evaporation rate, but only see a "Deadspace" for my lautertun.  Is there a place to enter Deadspace for a 15 gallon keggle?

gruversm said:
Thanks!  I've tweaked my settings for my Keggle evaporation rate, but only see a "Deadspace" for my lautertun.  Is there a place to enter Deadspace for a 15 gallon keggle?

No, there is not deadspace for the keggle, only the tun.  At times, I have adjusted the, "Loss to boil trub and chiller" to make additional tweaks to my system.

You will dial it in with time and experience.

No, there is not deadspace for the keggle, only the tun.  At times, I have adjusted the, "Loss to boil trub and chiller" to make additional tweaks to my system.
You will dial it in with time and experience.
[/quote]
I add it to "Top up water" and use "Loss to boil trub and chiller" for Trub only. I have mine set to .25 gal for Top up and .5 for Loss to trub, and the trub varies with the recipe so sometimes I have more beer in the end and thats ok with me. I usually fall around 5.5 Gal in the primary. This leaves me plenty of room to draw off clear beer from the secondary into the Keg.

Cheers

Preston

Back