• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Way high OG.

mairzydoats

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Checked the OG on a 5 gal. batch of pale (made with homegrown hops, BTW) and it was about 10 points higher than desired: shooting for 1.053 but hit 1.063.  The difference, according to BS2, is an additional .7% ABV, which I do not want. Anyone know how to use BS2 to calculate an additional water volume to reduce the wort by 10 points? Another question: any opinions on whether I should add water during fermentation or wait until FG/ready to keg? My gut feeling is that I should add distilled/RO water now rather than wait until FG. In summary, I need to calculate an amount of water to add to a 5 gal. batch to bring the OG from 1.063 to 1.053 and should the volume be added during fermentation or at FG.

The BeerSmith dilution tool will help you figure out how much water to add to achieve the specific gravity you want. I'm not sure it matters a lot, but my preference would be to dilute before fermentation. Note that the optimal yeast pitching rate is affected by the OG, so if you dilute later you might have to pitch more yeast.

-GF

Did not know that tool existed. Adding a half gallon will lower the gravity about 7 or 8 points. In my case, about an additional .75 G will do the trick. Handy tool! Thanks GigaFemto.

Back