Author Topic: PH Meters for Beer Brewing - Selection, Calibration and Use  (Read 3955 times)

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
PH Meters for Beer Brewing - Selection, Calibration and Use
« on: September 21, 2017, 09:16:48 AM »
   http://beersmith.com/blog/2017/09/21/ph-meters-for-beer-brewing-selection-calibration-and-use/

Cheers,
Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline Ck27

• BeerSmith's Unofficial Spam Police.... Do Not Spam
Re: PH Meters for Beer Brewing - Selection, Calibration and Use
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 02:03:01 PM »
   http://beersmith.com/blog/2017/09/21/ph-meters-for-beer-brewing-selection-calibration-and-use/

Cheers,
Brad

:) I never checked my pH on like hundreds of batches now I've started too doesn't seem to really make a huge difference.

Offline GigaFemto

• Muonic Matter Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 04:34:33 PM »
Whether a pH meter is critical to your brewing success depends on your water and the kinds of beer you brew. When I first started brewing all-grain my efficiency was terrible (40-45%) and my beer was often a bit tannic. It turns out that I have water with pH 9.3-9.6, and I wasn't correcting for that. Beers with a lot of dark grains could get the pH down  to the good range, but others couldn't. Now I use Bru'n Water to guide me in adjusting the water chemistry and getting the correct mash pH. It is doing such a good job that the measurement is almost a formality now, and my beer tastes a lot better.

--GF

Offline Ck27

• BeerSmith's Unofficial Spam Police.... Do Not Spam
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 12:10:28 AM »
Whether a pH meter is critical to your brewing success depends on your water and the kinds of beer you brew. When I first started brewing all-grain my efficiency was terrible (40-45%) and my beer was often a bit tannic. It turns out that I have water with pH 9.3-9.6, and I wasn't correcting for that. Beers with a lot of dark grains could get the pH down  to the good range, but others couldn't. Now I use Bru'n Water to guide me in adjusting the water chemistry and getting the correct mash pH. It is doing such a good job that the measurement is almost a formality now, and my beer tastes a lot better.

--GF

I tested the water that I have been using and it sits right at 5.5 before grains go in it, so its quite right on the money honestly. So that's probably why I never had a bad brew, my efficiency is about 85-89%. I have to say though that occasionally I do treat distilled water for specific styles