• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

PH Meters for Beer Brewing - Selection, Calibration and Use

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
  http://beersmith.com/blog/2017/09/21/ph-meters-for-beer-brewing-selection-calibration-and-use/

Cheers,
Brad

BeerSmith said:
  http://beersmith.com/blog/2017/09/21/ph-meters-for-beer-brewing-selection-calibration-and-use/

Cheers,
Brad

:) I never checked my pH on like hundreds of batches now I've started too doesn't seem to really make a huge difference.

Whether a pH meter is critical to your brewing success depends on your water and the kinds of beer you brew. When I first started brewing all-grain my efficiency was terrible (40-45%) and my beer was often a bit tannic. It turns out that I have water with pH 9.3-9.6, and I wasn't correcting for that. Beers with a lot of dark grains could get the pH down  to the good range, but others couldn't. Now I use Bru'n Water to guide me in adjusting the water chemistry and getting the correct mash pH. It is doing such a good job that the measurement is almost a formality now, and my beer tastes a lot better.

--GF

GigaFemto said:
Whether a pH meter is critical to your brewing success depends on your water and the kinds of beer you brew. When I first started brewing all-grain my efficiency was terrible (40-45%) and my beer was often a bit tannic. It turns out that I have water with pH 9.3-9.6, and I wasn't correcting for that. Beers with a lot of dark grains could get the pH down  to the good range, but others couldn't. Now I use Bru'n Water to guide me in adjusting the water chemistry and getting the correct mash pH. It is doing such a good job that the measurement is almost a formality now, and my beer tastes a lot better.

--GF

I tested the water that I have been using and it sits right at 5.5 before grains go in it, so its quite right on the money honestly. So that's probably why I never had a bad brew, my efficiency is about 85-89%. I have to say though that occasionally I do treat distilled water for specific styles

Back