Author Topic: bottling with aluminum bottles  (Read 2288 times)

Offline loki28

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
bottling with aluminum bottles
« on: September 23, 2017, 08:06:43 AM »
Has anybody tried bottling with those Coors Light aluminum bottles.  I can get my hands on a ton of these and was wondering if they would work for brewing.  We've been kegging everything so far but I'd like to be a little more mobile with some of my brew.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline Ck27

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith's Unofficial Spam Police.... Do Not Spam
Re: bottling with aluminum bottles
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 11:42:42 AM »
Has anybody tried bottling with those Coors Light aluminum bottles.  I can get my hands on a ton of these and was wondering if they would work for brewing.  We've been kegging everything so far but I'd like to be a little more mobile with some of my brew.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I haven't tried and u don't know if it's safe, can they hold pressure well if not they could become bottle bombs.

Offline Lesterbrau

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 08:33:08 PM »
I have a case of 12oz Iron City Al bottles that i've used about a dozen times, also have a few Basecamp 16 oz that I also use regularly. i love em cuz they're lightweight and unbreakable- great for picnics etc. I'm sure they have a much higher pressure rating since the metal is much more pliant than glass and I suppose would just split/tear, whereas a scratch on a glass bottle could become a hairline crack and explode. Had a couple problems with leaky seals so make sure you really clamp em good with the capper. I use them mostly for testers because they chill fast and I want to empty them soon for my next batch, so I can't vouch for long term aging.

Offline GigaFemto

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Muonic Matter Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 10:35:01 PM »
They should hold pressure just fine, but I would be embarrassed to put my beer in Coors Lite containers. With bottles you can scrape off the labels and nobody knows where they came from, but I think the aluminum ones are painted and not so easily scrubbed.

A couple of years ago I was in a pub in England and a guy ordered a Foster's. The bartender pulled the handle and it spurted a bit of foam, then stopped because it was empty. The guy then asked for a Coors Lite, and when the bartender pulled the handle it spurted a bit of foam and then stopped because it was empty. I turned to the fellow next to me and asked "What is your third choice when your second choice was Coors Lite?"

--GF

modification