Author Topic: Greetings from central-west Florida (Dover)  (Read 6133 times)

Offline Nightbiker

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
Greetings from central-west Florida (Dover)
« on: July 08, 2008, 07:24:11 PM »
I've been partial grain/extract brewing since September '07, and just purchased BrewSmith -and am looking forward to my first full-grain boil with great interest and expectation.  Hell, I'm EXCITED! :)

The wife (who does not drink, but supports my interest in homebrewing (at least she knows where I'm at! )) finally suggested I turn half of the carport into an enclosure and build myself a brewery in there (guess she finally got tired of me taking over the kitchen, and of running out of space due to an ever-growing stash of bottles, brewing-related paraphernalia, and the smell of the boiling wurt inside the house).
I bottle and keg (so far have two cornelius kegs, one with nut-brown Ale, the other usually contains a porter I'm a bit fond of, but plan on continuing to adjust the recipe).  I would like to acquire a few more -to have some 'aging' while two are tapped (my kegerator accomodates two -I haven't purchased a commercial keg since November, and have been contemplating taking a torch to a 16gal Michelobe keg and turning it into a boil pot -perhaps for boiling water only, to use for sparge duty...  Anyone think of any reason NOT to do this?  Putting a thermometer in it, and a stainless or brass valve in the bottom on the side...

Anyway.  By vocation I'm a registered nurse in a local large hospital, and as my namesake implies, I love riding motorcycles -not crotch rockets, but cruisers.  I'm 42yrs old and have cardiomyopathy thanks to a virus I caught at work (though you could never prove it was at work) -and it really trashed my heart.  My primary care physician has told me I should drink a beer a day (and on my days off, I manage to enjoy more than one) -it doesn't hurt that he enjoys the fruits of my labor.  I slip him a case of home-brew from time to time, and he happily returns my empty bottles (grin).  He loves this stuff and seems almost as eager as I am for me to get started on building my brewery (grin).
Currently, my capacity is 10 gal (two 5 gal fermenters) and I hope to double it this fall.  I look forward to trying different types of brews (including lagers).  Ahhh. So many styles.... And I can try as many as I like!  Sweet!

I've only met a few who are into brewing, and I find that as expected, 'beer' people are my kind of people!  I'm glad I found this site, and this outstanding software -I really look forward to talking with (and maybe meeting, if any of you are relatively close) others on here.

I work nightshift, and enjoy my mugfull as soon as I get offshift, relax reading the news, before going to sleep.
Take care!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 07:42:30 PM by Nightbiker »
All life-threatening conditions are self-resolving if given enough time.

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: Greetings from central-west Florida (Dover)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 07:40:51 PM »
Welcome!
  We're happy to have you here and good luck with your next brew!

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline KEKO482

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 10:08:30 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Happy Brewing
Chris

Offline UselessBrewing

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 06:59:06 AM »
Glad to have you. If you build it, they will come!

Cheers

Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!

Dr. Sideburns

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 06:33:45 AM »
LOL Preston is right. I think that phrase goes better for beer than baseball.

Welcome!

-Joe

Offline Nightbiker

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 04:48:33 AM »
so far, what I've noticed is that if I 'BREW it', they will come (and ask for more).  Not that I'm complaining in the least!  I had planned to go on a haitus (no brewing) until I finished building my all-grain equipment, but I was just fooling myself.  Gotta order some ingredients and take over the wifes' kitchen again (grin).
Still learning the Beersmith program -thats one hell of a tool.  Complex, and shows a whole lot of promise.  It easily promises to be the best investment in this (hobby?) I've made.
Sigh, so much to read, so little time (grin)
All life-threatening conditions are self-resolving if given enough time.

Offline Passload

• BeerSmith Rocks!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 04:02:48 PM »
so far, what I've noticed is that if I 'BREW it', they will come (and ask for more).  Not that I'm complaining in the least!  I had planned to go on a haitus (no brewing) until I finished building my all-grain equipment, but I was just fooling myself.  Gotta order some ingredients and take over the wifes' kitchen again (grin).
Still learning the Beersmith program -thats one hell of a tool.  Complex, and shows a whole lot of promise.  It easily promises to be the best investment in this (hobby?) I've made.
Sigh, so much to read, so little time (grin)

Welcome to the forums. 

I too have new found freinds because of brewing  ;D.

BeerSmith is a great tool.
It's not rocket science