• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Greetings from central-west Florida (Dover)

Nightbiker

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've been partial grain/extract brewing since September '07, and just purchased BrewSmith -and am looking forward to my first full-grain boil with great interest and expectation.  Hell, I'm EXCITED! :)

The wife (who does not drink, but supports my interest in homebrewing (at least she knows where I'm at! )) finally suggested I turn half of the carport into an enclosure and build myself a brewery in there (guess she finally got tired of me taking over the kitchen, and of running out of space due to an ever-growing stash of bottles, brewing-related paraphernalia, and the smell of the boiling wurt inside the house).
I bottle and keg (so far have two cornelius kegs, one with nut-brown Ale, the other usually contains a porter I'm a bit fond of, but plan on continuing to adjust the recipe).  I would like to acquire a few more -to have some 'aging' while two are tapped (my kegerator accomodates two -I haven't purchased a commercial keg since November, and have been contemplating taking a torch to a 16gal Michelobe keg and turning it into a boil pot -perhaps for boiling water only, to use for sparge duty...  Anyone think of any reason NOT to do this?  Putting a thermometer in it, and a stainless or brass valve in the bottom on the side...

Anyway.  By vocation I'm a registered nurse in a local large hospital, and as my namesake implies, I love riding motorcycles -not crotch rockets, but cruisers.  I'm 42yrs old and have cardiomyopathy thanks to a virus I caught at work (though you could never prove it was at work) -and it really trashed my heart.  My primary care physician has told me I should drink a beer a day (and on my days off, I manage to enjoy more than one) -it doesn't hurt that he enjoys the fruits of my labor.  I slip him a case of home-brew from time to time, and he happily returns my empty bottles (grin).  He loves this stuff and seems almost as eager as I am for me to get started on building my brewery (grin).
Currently, my capacity is 10 gal (two 5 gal fermenters) and I hope to double it this fall.  I look forward to trying different types of brews (including lagers).  Ahhh. So many styles.... And I can try as many as I like!  Sweet!

I've only met a few who are into brewing, and I find that as expected, 'beer' people are my kind of people!  I'm glad I found this site, and this outstanding software -I really look forward to talking with (and maybe meeting, if any of you are relatively close) others on here.

I work nightshift, and enjoy my mugfull as soon as I get offshift, relax reading the news, before going to sleep.
Take care!

Welcome!
  We're happy to have you here and good luck with your next brew!

Brad

Glad to have you. If you build it, they will come!

Cheers

Preston

LOL Preston is right. I think that phrase goes better for beer than baseball.

Welcome!

-Joe

so far, what I've noticed is that if I 'BREW it', they will come (and ask for more).  Not that I'm complaining in the least!  I had planned to go on a haitus (no brewing) until I finished building my all-grain equipment, but I was just fooling myself.  Gotta order some ingredients and take over the wifes' kitchen again (grin).
Still learning the Beersmith program -thats one hell of a tool.  Complex, and shows a whole lot of promise.  It easily promises to be the best investment in this (hobby?) I've made.
Sigh, so much to read, so little time (grin)

Nightbiker said:
so far, what I've noticed is that if I 'BREW it', they will come (and ask for more).  Not that I'm complaining in the least!  I had planned to go on a haitus (no brewing) until I finished building my all-grain equipment, but I was just fooling myself.  Gotta order some ingredients and take over the wifes' kitchen again (grin).
Still learning the Beersmith program -thats one hell of a tool.  Complex, and shows a whole lot of promise.  It easily promises to be the best investment in this (hobby?) I've made.
Sigh, so much to read, so little time (grin)

Welcome to the forums. 

I too have new found freinds because of brewing  ;D.

BeerSmith is a great tool.

Back