• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

left field gassing question

BAY13

Brewer
Reaction score
Below is an idea (SEE ATT.)which I have been mulling over, weather it will work or not. All I want is to be able to poor a beer with the gas that I generate from fermentation not actually gas th beer on tap.

Will it work?
With 19lt kegs how much head space do I need to allow?
Allowing for the head space what gravity beer should I make so I don't make a bomb?
Is there anything that I have overlooked?

Attachments

• left field gassing question.doc
    67 KB · Views: 273
I looked at the document. I'm on Office 2003. There was only text.

Going off of your post, I think I understand what you are asking for is pressure fermentation. I have never tried it but it looks like a cool idea and I know of some Craft breweries that are using this method on a larger scale to cut down on CO2 costs.
Here is an article and a post on another forum.
http://www.hbd.org/hbd/archive/3986.html#3986-3
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=44344

The guy on HBT is using Sanke kegs not corny's. I think the Krausen would be to big for a corny. The gravity would not be a problem if you had a pressure relief valve to vent excess pressures.

Cheers

Preston

Hmmm I like the idea.

Couple things.
The fermenting beer would have to be considerably less than 19L to keep the krausen from reaching the drinkable beer. May be you could put in a corny catch can in the middle and use the In port on the middle corny to keep the krausen out of the beer.

The typical fermentation period is 7-10 days. If you kept brewing at that pace to keep the drinkable beer on carbonation. One of two things would happen. You would be inundated with beer, or you would be so drunk drinking a Keg every week trying to keep up with the beer fermentation . Neither of which I see as a problem ;D Heck I may just join you in your quest to keep the beer on carbonation!

Cheers

Preston

Back