• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Using a filter to transfer from secondary to my bottling bucket

Josh_Saratin

Apprentice
Reaction score
This my just be a very simple answer... but I was doing some research about filters that can be used with the siphon when transferring to the bottling bucket. An example can be found here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOclJsjZnyY&t=428s).
I was wondering if there are any trade-offs or cons to using something like this while brewing? Is this worth investing in, do any of you use these or something similar ever?
Thank you so much in advance for your answers!
-Josh

I'm a keep it stupid simple kind of guy, so here are the reasons I wouldn't suggest this:
-Benefit is minor and can be accomplished other ways, primarily by keeping the bottom of the siphon off the very bottom of the fermenter.
-risk of contamination far exceeds benefit
-oxydation
-another step, another piece of equipment

I don't bottle any more, but when I did, I just siphoned it right in there. 

That looks like a nightmare to clean and sanitize. I cold crash for a few days and get a very dense and compact layer of yeast/sediment at the bottom of the carboy. As long as I keep the siphon above that I have no problems and no need for a filter. I use one of the siphons with a little plastic tip on it, and I tip the carboy to make the liquid deeper on the side with the siphon. I can get virtually all the clear liquid and none of the sediment this way.

--GF

No. Its not worth the trouble and risks of contamination and oxygenation.  The only beers I bother to clarify are very blond ales like kolsch.  Even then only if I'm serving outside the home.  Even then, I use gelatin, no filter.  Granted I keg, so I add the gelatin as I transfer to the keg and I stir it in under co2. So no risk of oxygen. 

If I were bottling, I would not bother. The yeast will settle out in the bottle.  If you want better settling you could add gelatine with your priming sugar.  That would tighten up the dregs so it didn't mix as much when pouring.

Besides if you over filtered you could remove too much yeast and prevent a proper priming ferment in the bottle. I don't think flat (but clear) beer is what you want. 

I agree with the others, it's  not worth it. I don't use a bottling bucket but bottle straight from the fermenter. I sometimes use geletin to clear the beer before bottling but not very often. Most of my beers end up very clear.

These guys saying risk of contamination do not know what they are talking about the filters are sterile and as long as you star San the housing it's fine I prefer filters due to working better than whirlfloc or gelatin. Oxygenation is also not really a threat with filters as beer goes through slowly. I would recommend a filtering system personally.

Ck27 said:
These guys saying risk of contamination do not know what they are talking about

Don't be a jerk. Your karma continues to drop.  It wasn't the spammers before, and it's not now.

jtoots said:
Ck27 said:

Don't be a jerk. Your karma continues to drop.  It wasn't the spammers before, and it's not now.

+1 jtoots!  Some people seem to feel they are Gods gift to home brewing and choose to force their opinion as if it?s the only possible solution.  No, it?s certainly NOT spammers.

jtoots said:
Ck27 said:

I'm not, I'm just tired of people running around thinking they are gods and posting things that aren't true. Again it doesn't matter, I just ask that the karma system not be abused.

I mean everyone has a different way of doing things but i prefer to filter and im just correcting a few things said that i felt were wrong, im entitled to my opinion as you are yours.

KellerBrauer said:
jtoots said:
Ck27 said:

+1 jtoots!  Some people seem to feel they are Gods gift to home brewing and choose to force their opinion as if it?s the only possible solution.  No, it?s certainly NOT spammers.

The amount of spammers on this site that I report on a daily basis from Russia and crap is probably at least 30.
Its actually pretty annoying to see some Russian guy spamming everyones thread with stuff about fake medical equipment.

The amount of spammers on this site that I report on a daily basis from Russia and crap is probably at least 30.
Its actually pretty annoying to see some Russian guy spamming everyones thread with stuff about fake medical equipment.
[/quote]

And this somehow makes you an authority on brewing?

I agree completely with KellerBrauer and jtoots, as well as many others who frequent this forum. Your giving out advice that flys in the face of accepted practices to people who seek sound advice is counterproductive. Those of us with years of experience, who are here to help people rather than to feed our egos are getting tired of your attitude. If you don't have any sound advice to offer, maybe you should lurk for a while and see what helping newer brewers is all about.

BOB357 said:

And this somehow makes you an authority on brewing?

I agree completely with KellerBrauer and jtoots, as well as many others who frequent this forum. Your giving out advice that flys in the face of accepted practices to people who seek sound advice is counterproductive. Those of us with years of experience, who are here to help people rather than to feed our egos are getting tired of your attitude. If you don't have any sound advice to offer, maybe you should lurk for a while and see what helping newer brewers is all about.
[/quote]

I'm here to help my methods are just different, hey to each his own, I try to help but only comment on something I know stuff about :). I mean I guess the fact that ive placed and had beers brewed with my help place very highly in competitions means I'm not qualified or don't know anything. As I'm going to say oh well. I'm going to try to help only if I can otherwise ill leave it to Oginme. He seems to get to it first anyways lol.

Whatever.
Oginme gives solid advice. Maybe you should use him as a model.

BOB357 said:
Whatever.
Oginme gives solid advice. Maybe you should use him as a model.
Hes one of the few people i take advice from, :) Because he seems to have a deep answer on any topic.

Back