• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

hefeweizen mash

gruversm

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Am I wasting my time doing an Infusion Mash with a protein rest for a Hefeweizen?

I would say no. Some will say yes. My reasoning is, this give the grist time to bring the ph down so you can get the most from your grains. This matters more for lighter colored beer's. I have read that this also helps the Head retention and reduce Chill Haze. I
Some will say yes because todays grains are well modified and there is no reason, and that it can hurt head retention. I can say that I have not had any ill effects that have been reported by doing a protein rest. I have been quite happy with my beer and I will continue to add the extra 10-15 min it takes to add that step.

Cheers

Preston

Hi,
  You should do an acid rest as opposed to a protein rest.  You can do an acid rest at about 95F for 20 minutes to lower the pH of your mash.

The actual protein rest is not needed if you have fully modified malts (which all modern ones are).

Brad

Back