• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Couple of Newbie questions

Jim Endo

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello -  I  would like to add steps to the brew timer. (An example would be to put the immersion chiller in the kettle  at 15 minutes or add yeast nutrient before flame out). Is that possible if so will someone please point me in the right direction?

Also, does anyone have experience using cheap harbor freight pumps to move cleaning solution at higher temps (say 105*)?  I have one that I use to pump cold water through my immersion chiller. 

OK, starting with the easiest, yeast nutrient is (or should be) an ingredient in your 'Misc Ingredients' profiles.  On the design page of your recipe, click on 'add misc', type in 'yeast' and the listing should be sorted to show you the possible yeast nutrients available.  Click on the one that is or best matches your particular brand, since it does not affect anything in the calculations, it really doesn't matter much which you click on.  Now in the recipe, you can adjust the boil addition time as you prefer.

You can 'add' your immersion chiller the same way.  Here you will need to add it to the misc. ingredient profiles first.  So from the top menu bar, click on 'ingredients' then on 'miscellaneous' to open the profiles for all the miscellaneous items.  Now click on 'add misc' on the ribbon bar above the main panel which will pop up a blank ingredient window.  You can fill out the pop up window, labeling the ingredient as 'immersion chiller' or whatever name you want to call it.  Make sure you adjust the usage on the bottom to 'boil' and designate the time left in the boil that you want to add the chiller.  Click to save.

Now as before with the yeast nutrient, add it to the recipe.

On the pump question, I cannot help you as I don't use pumps.

That's awesome thanks for your help. I really appreciate it

Back